Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Simple Things

Today, I had the simple pleasure of teaching Maggie, an 8th grader..how to bake simple slice and bake chocolate chip cookies! To be honest, we think that everyone should already know how to use an oven or really figure out something as simple as a Nestle's Tollhouse Slice and Bake Cookie? But for a refugee family, this is just as difficult as any of the other tasks that these families have had to overcome...
No one has come before them, or shown them how to do these simple everyday things that yes..I have to admit I take for granted. So it is always with great joy that I have the fun to share the small things that I know..and yes even bringing awareness to others all around us of what huge blessings we have..that sometimes we forget...
Now back to Maggie, yes she was quite delighted with her new found success, and we went on to also make a popcorn cake..yum yum!! One for my neighbors and one for her to take home to share! Well, Maggie's brothers were quite impressed when I shared with them as I picked them up for church..our usual Sunday evening drive..that it was Maggie that indeed who made the cookies! Their eyes were wide now with new found respect for their sister..hoping that she just might make some more at home for them!:) Just maybe so..as Maggie smiled with a grin! Eventually cookies from the beginning!:)

No comments: